Thursday, February 5, 2009

Inspiration

What is this about? Nothing since October and now I’m a blabber mouth posting daily or twice daily.

I guess it was the holidays. Or maybe I was mentally fried. Or perhaps it was all the additional work going on with training of two new employees or the well had run dry. Is that possible? Can you run out of inspiration?

What is this thing called inspiration? It is a question that is being discussed this month on Quarter Connection – what inspires you -- a container, a kit? I haven’t responded to the question on QC because I’m not entirely sure how to respond. What doesn’t inspire me would be easier to answer.

It can be the color of a leaf as the sun shines through it, a container that can be used in a new way, a swatch of fabric, a smell, a taste, a memory, a photograph, a story, a line from a song, a fragment of an overheard conversation, a movie, a news story, anything and everything can be inspiration.

Do I act on all of these inspirations? No, I mean, there isn’t enough time or energy to do so, but I can explore them mentally and discard what isn’t needed and squirrel some away for future use or adaption. I have notes and sketches to remind me later, bits and pieces of ideas that may not see the light of day but are there dancing about the edges of my mind.

No comments: