Monday, July 26, 2010

Pain Scale Begone!


I was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS a few weeks ago. I remember watching a TV show about a woman who was confined to bed due to RSD and I recall telling the person I was watching with that I was thankful I didn’t have that. Fibro was bad enough. Then a few weeks later, I was diagnosed.


Went to the doctor today and one of the first things out of his mouth was to ask me about my pain level and asked me to rate it on a scale of 1 -10. I’ve been dealing with this little pain scale for years and I still don’t know what to answer.


There’s a question screaming inside my head begging to be asked so I must ask it here. A scale of 1- 10 meaning what? I mean, it is totally subjective. Imagine I cannot feel pain does that mean the pain isn’t there? Is the “10” ranking of hurts worse mean the worst pain I have ever felt or the worst pain anyone has ever felt? Pain is my constant companion and just because I’m not lying in the floor screaming doesn’t mean I can’t feel it. “Normal” for me is usually a 7 or 8, I suppose.


If I’m writhing in the floor screaming for mercy then I get to claim 10? Or what about the days I can’t get out of bed without assistance or the pain level that nearly makes me black out? How do I count the days that I cannot walk without a cane?


If I was at a “0” of “no hurt” why the heck am I looking at a pain chart to start with? I don’t know who the Wong-Baker is/are that created this chart, but I think I don’t like them.
Next my doctor wants a descriptive term – burning, sharp, tingling, stabbing, etc. and I respond with yes. He now thinks I am mentally deranged because I cannot answer a simple question though I believe I have answered it appropriately. I chose “E” or “all of the above” because they all apply. It may burn here, tingle there, stab somewhere else.


So, the doc gives me medication to treat the disease and try to keep it from spreading, blood thinners, offers stronger pain meds, etc. The meds all make me sleepy. So then I am offered another pill to wake me up. Seriously, I can have pain meds and speed and that seems just fine with everyone? That is messed up logic in my mind. I decline the stronger pain meds and the wake up pill and will self-prescribe my sleepiness with a caffeinated beverage. Without the pain meds I grind my teeth a lot and continue on. With the pain meds I stare into space and sleep the day away. Not a great way to spend your time in this short life.


I do wish I could take a nap from time to time, though. I have no idea why this would be frowned upon by my employer. :)


Happy Monday all. Now back to the daily grind.

No comments: