Sunday, October 5, 2008

Tales from the E3 2008 Small Scales Houseparty in Greenville, SC "Hail to the Chief."


On September 17, 2008, we all convened at the Hyatt Hotel in Greenville South Carolina to begin our final push for setting up the Houseparty. Thanks to Shannon and Roy Moore, Operations was set up and it didn't take long until we were all packing totebags and stuffing final items into registration packets.

Our fearless leader, Rhonda Keef, insisted on looking at the Houseparty through her rose-colored glasses and pushed us onward to the completion of set-up before our first registration time.


Donna Brewington and I set up the patriotic arches that moved me way beyond my comfort zone of decor and squarely into the land of gaudy over the top decor! And yet, Donna kept insisting I add more flags, more lights and more fluffy red, white and blue streamers. Rhonda also seemed equally pleased with the arches and columns I created but it could have been the rose-colored glasses.



The registration went extremely smooth and the majority of it took place during the first couple of registration times. Well done, ladies, for a great job welcoming our guests.
I often wonder why we volunteer to put ourselves through such headaches to prepare for a Houseparty. I was talking to a friend and we agreed that we began miniatures because of our love of all things small, but we stayed in miniatures because of our wonderful friendships we develop through the years.

So three years ago when I received an email with a newsletter attached to it stating I was the Hospitality chair and that email came from a dear friend, Rhonda, I never considered saying no even though I knew how much work it would be. The things we do for love of a friend!

All work set aside though I would not trade anything for the time spent with friends counting packages, measuring rooms, creating checklists, giving reports, attending meetings, staying up late for a drink after the banquet and spreading all our mini-swaps on the table and sharing with the "oohs" and "ahhs" with some of the people I value most.

The minis are a bonus but the friends are a treasure.

Next time: Workshop Pictures

No comments: